Thursday, June 19, 2014

Lighthaus Camera: Concert Photography

About a year ago, Zach our Lahaina Lighthauser asked me if I wanted to shoot his friend's band at the new Fleetwood's restaurant.  Not knowing anything about shooting musicians, I tried. Lets just say it is not as easy as it looks.  Accounting for best angles, light stands, not getting in the way of people there to watch the band, the different colors and shades of light and ear plugs were just some of the I will think about the next time I shoot a band.  Please keep in mind that the ear plugs are not because the music sucked but the volume levels.  This band was very entertaining and damn good.  Steven Tyler from Aerosmith was there but his security did not allow me to take his picture.  To be honest with you, I ended up going into the green mode and just made sure to frame some good pics.  I will stick to landscapes and pictures of my wife.

If you want to learn how to shoot concert photos, this article from PetaPixel.com tells you the secrets:

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/17/camera-settings-concert-photography/#more-138211

The article gave some great advice on settings and modes.  If you noticed, all of the pictures were shot at f/3.5 or less.  If you do not have a lens that can handle low light levels, Lighthaus Camera has a few in stock including a used Nikon 85mm f/1.8, a used Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for Canon, and a used Leica 50mm f/2.0.  If none of those lenses fit your needs we can always order one for you.  Call either one of our Maui locations, our Oahu store or the original in Kona to see what we have.


No comments:

Post a Comment